Sunday, October 21, 2012

NPBAD

Greetings Animal Lovers, 
Scrolling through the ASPCA blog forum I couldn't help but read the article behind this adorable character.  Turns out it's not primarily about this Pit Bull, but all Pit Bulls in general.  On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 the ASPCA announced that National Pit Bull Awareness Day (NPBAD) would officially be termed ten days post the announcement, 10/27/12.  Pit Bull Awareness day was originally coined in 2007 by Jodi Preis, a member of the Bless The Bullies foundation of middle Tennessee.  After introducing the idea nationalizing the day she got a lot of positive feedback, enough for it to deserve an official ASPCA recognition.  

I appreciate the idea of NPBAD and as I've mentioned previously I have a special attachment to the Pit Bull breed.  As the article mentions there are more negative connotations to the breed than there are positive, making them the most banned or legislated against.  Because of this, in response to the article I'd like to suggest maybe an awareness week or month rather than just one day.  I understand things take time to be considered for a request as such but I strongly believe the way Pit Bulls are treated is an issue that requires far more than a day to educate individuals on.  In order to truly ".. change perceptions about Pit Bulls.." as the article suggests, more time is going to have to be designated to thoroughly get the job done.  

The ASPCA is asking for any Pit Bull Owners to register for the National Pit Bull Awareness Day Event on October 27th.  Come help spread the truth about Pit Bulls ! 


2 comments:

  1. I have two pit bulls, their names are Miller and Chief and they are honestly the sweetest dogs in the whole world. Miller is a red nose and Chief is a blue nose. They cuddle with me every night and I swear they think they are human lol. I love this idea and I think also that they should at least make it a Pit Bull awareness week or month,that would be even better. I enjoyed reading your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a huge dog lover. I don't personally own a pit bull, or never have but I do have a lot of love for the breed. The NPBAD is a great idea to raise awareness to what a loving family dog Pit Bulls really can be. I've always believed that you can't blame poor behavior on the breed of dog, and that it has everything to do with the owner of the pet. The picture of the pit in your post is too cute!

    ReplyDelete