Monday, September 17, 2012

Who Woulda' Thunk?

Greeting Animal Lovers, 
Over the last few weeks I've read quite a few posts on the ASPCA blog site, and for a reader's response I wanted to shine the spotlight on an article that wasn't about one particular animal. Instead, "Let's Stay Together" was a post targeted to make dog owners aware that their pooches can suffer from separation anxiety. The post suggests that with time schedules changing, due to students and parents going back to school or work, dogs may not adjust that well to being left alone. Dogs may resort to using the bathroom indoors, howling, chewing, or trying to escape the yard or house; all of which are purely symptoms of the separation anxiety.  Although many times this diagnosis will offer a plausible excuse for the unwanted behavior, I too wanted to share an alternative hypothesis.

In my opinion behaviors such as the ones mentioned above tend to be apparent in puppies, or dogs who have not been properly trained not to chew up shoes or pee on the rug. If your dog is trained, the behavior could actually be a well thought out and organized day of fun for the canine. I used to have a dog named Zeus, who was so mischievous he would wait until after everyone left the house to do his dirty work.  It could be correct that Zeus was experiencing separation anxiety. Being upset by everyone's departure could've caused him to tip the trash can and shred absolutely everything that was in it routinely for three months. Or could it be because my mother and her shoe were not there to positively punish his behavior.  I think that Zeus purposely waited until everyone cleared the house in order to get the longest period of uninterrupted joy.  Not to poke fun at the thought of a dog experiencing separation anxiety, ( I know it can happen!) but behaviors that occur in the absence of supervision should fall more along the lines of 'dogs will be dogs'; especially if no ones looking.  


                                      


4 comments:

  1. really like the thorough approach to the topic you've taken here. its analytical without being over critical, and very informative as well. Ive never really had a pet other than adopting a pitbull for about 2 weeks before I had to move to another apartment complex that did not allow pits. my question is how do you feel about pet owners who treat their animals better than some people treat their children (i.e. taking them to dog spas or carrying them everywhere)? I've lived in other countries where they had family pets but never allowed them inside and never fed them, they kind of just hung around and would play with it then it would go and find food somewhere else like most animals do. It wasn't so much that they didn't care for the animal they just have more of a distinction between person-person relationships and person-animal relationships. Do you think its proper to bring an animal so close and pay it so much attention?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your topic of concern here. To answer your question as honestly as possible I will say that I stand firm behind the idea that you should always first provide for the necessities of your family, before even thinking about bringing a pet into the picture. In response to your statement about pet owners who treat their animals better than their children, I disagree in large to that action. I will step out and say dog spas sound like a great idea, so long as any kids in the family are given at LEAST the same treatment. Spoiled dogs normally come hand in hand with spoiled kids, or maybe a family that has no kids so I feel these instances are excused. Taking from your out of country experiences, different cultures will always have different ways of catering to their animals. I know a good majority of people who have 'outside dogs' that aren't allowed in. I believe the important thing is more so adequate nutrition (including food and water), shelter (dog house or overhanging), and human contact. With your example of people not feeding an outside dog, I'd have to disagree with this action. No, not everyone can afford to feed their family as well as a dog. But if this is the case, the simple answer would be never take responsibility (or ownership) of an animal that you can't financially provide for. Thanks for your feedback!!

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your opinion and view on the canine "separation anxiety". I would have to agree with you that dogs can have seperation anxiety. Also, that the behavior that comes out of a dog when no one is watching does have a lot to do with what a dog does when they feel they are alone. I like that you said "dogs will be dogs; especially if no one is looking." because I have a ten month old blue nose pit bull and he seems to have separation anxiety. He cries for at least an hour after I leave and does tend to wreck a few things. Yet, when I leave and he has no supervision I think he is VERY aware that he can do things without being noticed. It may be for attention though, whether positive or negative attention. I really liked the way you structured your blog also as it flowed well when I read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the positive feedback regarding canine separation anxiety. I also praise your choice to care for a pit bull, because they are often mistreated and misrepresented animals. Stay tuned for posts regarding pit bulls specifically. I love the breed and hope to give them some time in the spotlight!

    ReplyDelete